Thursday, July 15, 2010

Jake


The last time I blogged, I had just had coffee with my stepson Jake. He seemed a bit amped up, but he was so happy to see me. It was the last time I will ever see him. In May he passed away, an accidental overdose, I hear. I went to California and watched as he was lowered into the ground. Just 18, about to graduate high school. He had recently closed his first real estate deal.
All his little friends were graveside, some throwing their AA and NA chips onto his casket. Too many chips. Too many drugs. I found out one of his former classmates Lena had OD'd in January and is buried in the same cemetery. She was really cool. So was Jake. Too cool for this life. I hope they are together laughing at us - or perhaps they are on our shoulders, like the angels they were. Rock and roll, Jakie, and be sure to say hi to John and George for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment