Friday, January 8, 2010

Death is weird


My dad died Dec 14th. Well, my biological dad. I didn't grow up with him but he became a good friend. He definitely had his faults. He left when I was two, and reappeared when I was 18. In his Dartmouth 25th reunion yearbook , he listed one child - my sister, whom he did raise. This was way after we had reconnected, and it hurt. I was wise enough to realize I shouldn't be a breeder. Perhaps because we are a self-involved group of people and I didn't want to put that on anybody else.
I just found out an old friend from the 80s is now dying. He is a few years younger than I and smoked like a chimney. But it brings to mind my own mortality. Now that my dad is gone, I am next in line. I remember when George Harrison died. He was one of us. It can happen. It is scary. I think I have too much free time.

No comments:

Post a Comment